Thursday, January 19, 2012

"i want pink... with a bow"

..... that was the entire directive i gave my mum regarding one of my birthdays as a pipsqueak.  in my family we started with the cake... everything else was incidental  


our family was out of the country at the time.  dad was an ambassador and we got caught up in a civil war and were advised not to leave our flat, as foreigners were in moderate danger.  i couldn't even invite any of the neighbor kids to celebrate my birthday


my mum felt bad for me and arranged for a couturier to come to the house so that i could pick out a pretty pink dress 'with a bow' to wear at our family's birthday dinner.  when i couldn't decide, she said "well you will have to decide on one before you birthday dinner, but for now...."


...and she instructed the dress-maker to leave ALL of the dresses, knowing that i was a pink party dress junkie... maybe it's because of that birthday that i still am


here were the top contenders






and here was the winner
here are the shoes i asked for


and here are the ones i got... sigh



this was a dress my mom bought for my doll who was my closest confidante at the time 
 

this hot little number was tania's dress.... sigh 2 

this classic dress was mum's

here is what mum told my dad he would have to wear

but in reality she simply gave him this to wear.... with his suit i might add... he didn't just wear a bow tie and nothing else.... ewww
and this is what my pup butch wore


looking back i suppose it was a difficult time, but we never realized it while we were going through it.  mum always made everything lovely... just like that birthday... just like her  


3 comments: